Life is full — especially at the end of the year. Your schedule is full of school activities, recitals, holiday parties, and food prep. Not to mention your career and all the loose ends to tie up at work. It can be difficult to cut out time for a break. As 2018 comes to a close, we invite you to do just that. Enjoy your time off and take a few days to rest, relax, and reflect. Then, make a plan for a happy, productive year ahead.
Not sure where to start? Here are ten steps to follow as you look back on 2018 and make plans for a fulfilling 2019. Grab your pen and paper (the best tools of mindful reflection!) and let’s get started.
- Take time to look back on your year. What were the highlights? What went well? What did not go well?
- Dig a bit deeper by thinking through these main categories of a happy life.
- Health and fitness
- Personal Development
- Pause to think about your successes, accomplishments, and potential insecurities in each area.
- Take what you’ve learned and choose two categories you’d like to focus on at the start of 2019. Create a goal for both categories and write down one specific action you can take in January to bring you closer to your goal. With those goals in mind, now we can jump into the fun part: Your 2019 plan
- Take a new paper and write out each of the 12 months of the year (leave a few lines between each month so you can write out plans).
- Fill in the big events, trips, and plans you already have scheduled.
- Figure out what events, trips, conferences, experiences you’d like to schedule for 2019 and start mapping them out. Be sure these big items align with the goals you’ve set for yourself already. Don’t let yourself stress about the details. This is not the time to sort out logistics. Plan out what you want. Once you decide that you want it, you can start figuring out how to make it happen.
- Write in your work and school breaks. Plan out a few ideas of what to do with that time off.
- Take a step back and look for the gaps of time. Just being aware of which months of the year are busy and which may be more free and relaxing can be incredibly rewarding.
- Try to write down one thing to look forward to in each monthly block. It can be big like a vacation, or small like a local adventure or a personal day. Planning out these little moments of joy now will set you up for a happier year ahead.
Put the pen down for now and look at all your plans and dreams on paper. You are that much closer to your ideal 2019.
Now that you have gleaned some insights and made fun plans, curl up on the couch with your phone and flip through your top 2018 photos. While you’re at it, go ahead and create that year-in-review photo book to keep the good times forever.
Enter promo code HELLO2019 at checkout for free shipping on all photo books until January 6, 2019.